According to us Finns, Tampere is the most loved residential and tourism city in Finland. The secret of Tampere is its originality.
Tampere is defined by a few unique characteristics: it is surrounded by beautiful lakes and eskers, it has a perfect scale for walking and there’s always something new and innovative going on. The centre of the city is dominated by industrial heritage; the national landscape of Tammerkoski rapids and historical red brick buildings.
Tampere is a city, where it’s okay just to be you. Tampere has something wonderfully traditional, even seductive, and something so dynamic but relaxing.
So how to get to know the city like a local? Here are our tips!
1. Go to sauna. Tampere is the Sauna Capital of the World with over 30 public saunas. This is where you find the locals. Take a dip in to the lake all year round, remember to stay hydrated and enjoy.
2. Enjoy the treats and atmosphere of the Market Hall. The Market Hall is the heart of Tampere. Opened in 1901, it has seen the world change but the feeling of good old times has been captured inside its walls. Have a cup of coffee or enjoy a lunch made from quality ingredients produced by locals.
3. Take a walk in the forest. Pyynikki observation tower (and its doughnuts) is one of the most iconic sights in Tampere. Instead of just doing what everyone else does, take your doughnut for a walk in the forest. Follow a path from the observation tower towards Pispala and enjoy the view of lake Pyhäjärvi from the vantage point on the rocks.
4. Visit the beautiful Pispala. Pispala and its colourful wooden houses are definitely the place to see. In Pispala you can find one of the most instagrammable places in Tampere – Pyykkimettä observation place.
5. Root for your team. Tampere loves ice hockey. We even have our own museum dedicated to it. Tampere has two ice hockey teams in the Finnish elite league. Pick your team (Ilves or Tappara) and cheer them to victory!
6. Solve a mystery. A secret pub that serves top quality cocktails? Sounds interesting, doesn’t it? A speakeasy called Tiima hopes its location remains a secret from the masses on social media, so you might have to ask a local how to find it.
7. Dine fine. Tampere restaurant scene boasts quality and versatility. One of the most interesting places is restaurant Kajo. They offer the purest flavours of nature and fill the plates with savory stories while honoring the origins of food.
8. Get to know Tampere design. In Tampere, there are many great design shops in just a few minutes’ walking distance. Pop in to Uhana flagship store for unique relaxed clothes and accessories with timeless prints and in Kehräsaari you can find charming little boutiques full of Finnish handicrafts in an idyllic old factory setting.
9. Head out to the wild. Visit Kintulammi, a great hiking area and nature reserve located approximately 20 kilometers outside Tampere city center. The area has four different lean-to and fire pit complexes. All lean-tos and bases are different and individually designed to fit their location.
10. Visit the Moomins! World’s only Moomin museum is located in Tampere. Get to know the story of the Moomins and enjoy the art of Tove Jansson. Remember to take a peek inside the magician’s hat…
The post Live like a local in Tampere – Top 10 things to do appeared first on Spotted by Locals Amsterdam.